Unique, active technology for high power, modern engines
No matter how hot, cold, steep, dusty, muddy or extended your operations, you need to know that your oil will protect your engine under all conditions.
The Energised Protection of Shell Rimula heavy-duty diesel engine oils works relentlessly in three critical areas:
1. Acid control – well-proven performance additives help to protect against corrosion from acids formed as fuel burns.
2. Deposit control – helps to keep the engine clean for consistent performance and long life.
3. Wear control – keeps moving metal engine surfaces apart for long engine life.
Shell Rimula R4
Shell Rimula R4 technology is designed to protect modern engines with turbochargers, intercooling and exhaust gas recirculation. From the high-pressure contacts in the valve train to the extreme temperatures of the pistons and rings, Shell Rimula R4 adapts to all the conditions within your engine, and helps you to minimise your maintenance and operating costs by providing a versatile one-oil solution for modern fleets.
A highly stable dual-function additive component provides extra protection against oil thickening within the high soot and contamination levels found in modern low emission engines. This ensures that the oil continues to flow and protect even under heavy-duty operations found in US 2004, Euro 3 and Euro 4 turbocharged engines.
Active technology for better protection
Shell Rimula R4 contains dual-function molecules that work with conventional additives to enhance performance. They do this by helping to capture soot found in high power modern engines, for wear and deposit control.
Unique active technology
The performance benefits of the unique combination of dispersants and detergents boosted by the use of the dual-function additive component are seen in enhanced engine cleanliness and viscosity control compared to previous generation oils (API CH-4/ACEA E5).
Improved Cleanliness: In the ASTM Caterpillar 1R engine test, Shell Rimula R4 technology shows clear visible improvements compared to previous generation oils.
Better flow: the advanced dispersant systems help keep the oil flowing properly, resisting thickening caused by build up of soot. In the Mack T8E test, Shell Rimula R4 clearly out-performs the minimum requirements for ACEA and API specifications by up to 75% and demonstrates improvements compared to a typical API CH-4 technology.
Engine wear: in the Mack T10 and Cummins M-11 EGR tests, Shell Rimula R4 exceeds the API CI-4 and ACEA E7 limits for piston ring and crosshead wear. In particular, it exceeds the crosshead wear of API CI-4 requirements by up to 50%.
Visibly Lower Wear: in the Cummins M-11 EGR wear test, the difference between Shell Rimula R4 and passing API CI-4 oil is visible in the crosshead wear scars.
High power use
Lasting over 30% longer than competitors in laboratory oxidation tests, Shell Rimula R4 is proven to resist breakdown even under high temperature. Combined with its proven performance, delivering up to 30% lower iron wear in the real world conditions of the Australian road-trains, Shell Rimula provides the Energised Protection your engine needs.
Should you use Shell Rimula R4?
- With its wide range of approvals and specifications from many of the world’s leading engine makers, Shell Rimula R4 is an excellent choice for on-highway logistics, general haulage and public transport operators.
- Suitable for a wide range of heavy-duty engine applications. Suitable for Euro 2, 3 and certain Euro 4 engine technologies.
- With its excellent protection against wear and deposits, Shell Rimula R4 is ideal for a wide range of high power heavy-duty diesel engine applications where resistance to increased heat and stress is required.
For vehicles fitted with the latest emissions control technology such as diesel particulate traps, we recommend the use of our low-emissions products such as Shell Rimula R4 L, R6 LM or LME.
Specifications and approvals
SAE Viscosity Grade: 15W-40
API CI-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF; ACEA E7, E5; Global DHD-1, Cummins CES 20071, 72, 76, 77, 78; Cat ECF-1-A; DDC 93K215; Mack EO-M, EO-M+; MAN 3275; MB Approval 228.3; Renault Trucks RLD-2; Volvo VDS-3