Shell Thailand looks to make a difference by helping to create hubs for life-long learning, social and economic advancement
May 21, 2015
Bangkok – Thailand: The Shell Company of Thailand Limited today launched a new partnership with Mechai Pattana School that will help make a difference to the future of innovative education programs and help foster hubs for life-long learning and social and economic advancement in four rural communities across Thailand.
Mr. Asada Harinsuit, Chairman of Shell Company of Thailand Limited and Vice President – Retail Business East, said, “Shell has been in Thailand for 123 years and is committed to investing in helping people develop to their fullest potential through partnerships and programs that align with our global direction as well as responds to local needs,” he said at the MOU signing with Mechai Pattana School, which was also presided over by Professor Thienchay Kiranandana, Chairman of the National Reform Council, and Dr. Kamol Rodklai, Secretary-General, Office of the Basic Education Commission of the Ministry of Education.
“Through the partnership with Mechai Pattana School, we aim to help build the capacity of these unique and wonderful schools to become self-sustaining Life Long Learning centers and a hub for community development for its students and members of the surrounding communities.”
Only 30% of Thai students will find employment, while the remaining 70% will become self-employed. The project co-created between Shell and Mechai Pattana School so called Improvement in the Quality of Life and Occupational Skills for Disadvantaged Students and Children with Disabilities is aimed to equip deserving students - such as those with physical disabilities, and social and economic disadvantages, with business and life skills to be successfully self-employed.
Mr. Mechai Viravaidya, Founder of Mechai Pattana School and Social Entrepreneur, said, “Our schools focus on poverty eradication by teaching students practical agriculture skills and basic business acumen through hands-on experience. This innovative concept was first introduced at Mechai Pattana School and has since been successfully introduced in rural government schools in different parts of Thailand.”
“Shell’s contribution will go a long way to helping four schools by helping to establish our programs that focus on poverty eradication by teaching students practical agriculture skills and basic business acumen through hands-on experience,” Mr. Mechai Viravaidya concluded.
The four schools that will benefit from Shell’s donation are Ratprachanukroh number 51 School in Buriram; Ratprachanukroh number 27 School in Nong Khai; Srisangwan Khonkaen School in Khon Kaen; and Srisangwan Chiang Mai Schoolin Chiang Mai.
“On Wednesday 27 May You fill up on any Shell Fuel, We donate 1 Baht per 1 Litre. You can help “Fuel the Happiness” of the lives of others and help make an impact on a young person’s quality of life – every contribution makes a difference,” Mr Asada Harinsuit added.
Bongkod Paebunyong (Thai)
General Manager – Communications & Corporate Affairs
The Shell Company of Thailand LTD
T +66 (0) 2-262-6389
H+K Strategies Thailand
M +66 (0) 2-627-3501 # 133